History of Property
The property at 203 Maple Street is deep in Northfield and Minnesota history.
The original house
The land was once owned by John North, founder of Northfield, in 1855 until his friend, Charles Wheaton, bought the property and most of North's other assets in 1859. The property was sold and the house was built in 1893 by Judge S. W. Furber, who was a founding trustee of Carleton College and State legislature. The property was bought and sold several times through out the early to mid-1900's. The house, however, was maintained from the original build.
a diamond in the rough
Although it looked a bit rough when we purchased it in 2015 (it even survived a fire in the 70s!), we knew we found a very special property that was begging for some TLC! While much of the original woodwork was lost over the years, the structure was sound and features, such as the original hardwood floors and tall ceilings, remained in tact. After interviewing several contractors, we found a company, Rongitsch Homes, that shared our passion to bring this property back to its original glory. At first sight, we knew this subtle beauty would be getting its wrap around porch restored ASAP!
Bringing it Back
We are building on a porch, putting on new siding and shakers, and rebuilding the chimney to match more closely to the original house. We are also making some additions of our own:
- remodeling the entire insides;
- adding and remodeling bathrooms to all bedrooms;
- adding and remodeling all bedrooms;
- adding an Innkeeper's resident quarters with two new bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, dining room, and living room;
- designing and planting all new landscape; and
- much more.